The Benefits of On-Demand Hot Water Heaters
As you turn the faucet on for a shower, you expect hot water instantly, right? Even though that’s the desired outcome, it’s not always a reality if you have multiple people living in your home. Standard electric tank-style water heaters take time to heat water once the storage tank empties. If you’re last in line for a shower, you may be met with an unpleasant stream of cold water. However, on-demand propane water heaters, also known as propane tankless water heating units, provide an unlimited supply of instantaneous hot water. That means no wait time for your relaxing hot shower, even if you’re last in line.
Propane tankless water heating units provide comfort, versatility, convenience, and efficiency by supplying high volumes of hot water with compact and highly innovative technology — a level of performance that electric systems can’t match. Here are some of the advantages of propane on-demand water heaters to consider when you’re evaluating a water heating system for your home.
Propane Tankless Water Heater Benefits
- Clean energy. Propane tankless water heaters have 50 to 60 percent lower CO2 emissions compared with electric storage tank systems.
- Reduced energy costs. Propane tankless water heaters can reduce energy costs by up to 50 percent and eliminate standby energy loss from the tank, as well as the unnecessary expense of heating water when it is not being used.
- No cold showers. Propane tankless water heaters provide an endless supply of hot water on demand, averaging about 222 gallons per hour, compared with an average first-hour delivery rating of just 62 gallons per hour for electric storage tank models.
- Compact size. A propane tankless water heater can save up to 16 square feet of floor space over a standard storage tank model.
- Long service life. Propane-fueled tankless water heaters have a life expectancy of about 20 years, much longer than an electric storage tank water heater.
How Do On-Demand Hot Water Heaters Work?
Once you turn on your hot water tap, water rushes through the pipes to your tankless water heater, activating a propane gas-powered heating element. Water runs through a network of heating coils inside a compact tankless unit and is then sent to your bathtub, shower, kitchen sink, washing machine, or anywhere else hot water is required, providing you with an endless supply of hot water on demand.
Since the water does not sit in a tank, there is no need for it to be heated continually. Water is heated only once—when you need it–which ultimately uses less energy than a standard electric storage tank unit. Standard electric storage tank water heaters are constantly heating and reheating the water stored in the tank, resulting in wasted energy and expense. Take a closer look at how propane tankless water heating units work here.
To learn more about on-demand propane tankless water heaters and their benefits, visit your local professional propane dealer.
Follow MOPERC on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or our Trends in Propane feed, and check in with your local propane dealer to learn more about why so many people enjoy all the benefits of the propane lifestyle